baslinux - [BL] Onboard pcmcia wireless, was Re: Toshiba Satellite 3000 Re: dual boot DOS and XP

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Onboard pcmcia wireless, was Re: Toshiba Satellite 3000 Re: dual boot DOS and XP
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 01:44:49 +0000 (UTC)

Toshiba 3000-S353

Onboard wireless identifies in puppy as pcmcia orinoco but does not appear to work.

There are two pcmcia slots - socket 0 and socket 1.

Unlike more recent laptops, which have onboard mini-PCI wireless, this
laptop has onboard pcmcia wireless card.

pcmcia start recognizes in Socket 2 (onboard) a DELL Truemobile 1158 wireless card it the same way too) which uses hermes and orinoco drivers, but neither BL nor Puppy can handle it. They both work with a 'real' external card of the same manfid.

eth1: Error -110 reading firmware info. Wildly guessing capabilities...
eth1: Intersil firmware earlier than v0.8.x - several features not supported
hermes @ IO 0x140: Error -16 issuing command.
eth1: Failed to read MAC address!
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed

Maybe someone has a fix for this problem, but Puppy fails like BL.
Works in XP somehow. The laptop was designed for Win2K.

The onboard 'card' is identified as eth0 if there is nothing in the slots, or eth1 if I put an airo 340 in socket 1. If I run pcmcia and then put in the card, the card is identified but dhcp does not work since it tries to use eth0 and the added card is eth1. If I put the card in before running pcmcia it is eth0. Can I aim dhcp at eth1 instead of eth0?

So the laptop works with a pcmcia wireless card IF you insert it before running pcmcia 'start' (or if you put it in afterwards and assign IP manually instead of using dhcp, but then you also need to set default gateway).
----------------

It also works with onboard rtl8139 and with a D-Link 810+ ethernet bridge plugged into the ethernet port. The default IP for the bridge is 192.168.0.30 so load drivers, ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 (assuming pcmcia was not run so no wireless card is eth0), use Seamonkey or Firefox (Opera 9 does not work right, and you need javascript) with login admin and password left blank (Enter key) - the defaults if you reset with a paperclip for 15 sec -, click on wireless (images MUST be enabled because they used them for half the links), site survey, choose your network, click on Connect, etc. Opera gets stuck at this point.

The bridge is now connected to your network wirelessly, and you are connected to the bridge via ethernet cable.

dhcp will assign your computer an IP address in the range of the new network, not the bridge (though in my case they are both in the same range, which confused things).

Thanks to James Miller for solving this puzzle.
---------------

A third option is my MN-510 USB wireless card, if I can figure out the drivers for BL. It worked in Puppy in an old desktop. It was the only USB or PCI wireless card I or a friend could get to work with Puppy out of a collection of 7, and is available on eBay for $15 buy it now or $13 minimum bid, new offer daily.

MN-520 pcmcia is orinoco 80211b and works in BL2 with orinoco.

The MN-510 worked in a desktop with puppy but is NOT FOUND in the
!@#$ laptop when plugged into a working USB port. Maybe the onboard orinoco card is confusing puppy?

Someone suggests the linux-wlan drivers for it. Puppy does not seem
to even have wlan. Or ndiswrapper - which many people could not get to work. I am astonished it works in puppy.

This is a really screwy laptop!

Does anyone have a USB wireless card working with BL?

Or ALSA sound? I had i180 sound working on a desktop with OSS.

So far the fastest laptop that works properly with BL is 400MHz Thinkpad, circa 1999. Maybe a 2.6 kernel would help with the faster ones.

Sindi Keesan