baslinux - [BL] CD to MP3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] CD to MP3
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:13:36 +0000 (UTC)

Has anyone used BL to convert music CDs to MP3?

Supposedly you first rip the CD tracks to wav files with cdparanoia or cdda2wav.

Precompiled cdparanoia (glibc static) requires a 2.6 kernel and the source code would not compile for me - complained about MONOTONE.

cdda2wav comes with slackware. Just for burning CDs with cdrecord, kernels below 2.6 require scsi emulation.

loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda1 ro hdc=ide-scsi
(Assuming hdc is your CD-ROM drive)

insmod ide-cd ignore=hdd
(ignorea second CD-ROM drive that you don't want to treat as scsi)
insmod scsi_mod
insmod sr_mod
insmod sg
insmod ide-scsi

cdda2wav -B file.wav will rip the entire disk as one track
cdda2wav -t 1 file.wav (converts track 1)
cdda2wav --help - maybe there is a way to convert all the tracks to progressively numbered files with one command.

Needs libc and ld-linux (get from Slackware 8.1 cd tools package - the earlier ones cannot deal with CD protection properly when copying CDs).

Then convert from wav to mp3 using lame or bladeenc.

Lame uses GKT1 and needed the ncurses devel package (termcap.h).

I could not find bladeenc latest version 0.94 (2001) but did find bladeenc-parallel.0.921b5, which compiled to a 500K executable that needs only libm libc and ldlinux. GLIBC 2.2.5
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bladeenc-parallel-0.92.1b5.tgz

Someone just gave us an mp3 player. USB storage sda1. Takes one AAA battery that you recharge elsewhere. (The owner was given a 120GB model).

The files are of the format
01 filename.mp3 (many starting with 01, more with 02..)
So you should probably name your files "01 filename.mp3"

Has anyone successfully used a Trio MP3 player? 512MB storage, headphone jack, PLAY and RECORD and VOL buttons.

You can also burn (cdrecord) about 10 MP3s of complete CDs to one CD and listen with linux or a CD or DVD player that plays MP3s. (We just fixed one of the latter).

Sindi Keesan