baslinux - Re: [BL] CD to MP3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD to MP3
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:45:33 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

wrote

On 30 Oct 2009 at 12:38, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org (probably Sindi)
wrote, AT LEAST IN PART:

It took about 2 min to rip a 6-min track to wav

I guesstimate about the same on my 450MHz desktop with Feurio under
Windows 98SE (sorry, have let most of my BL knowledge rust).

Limiting factor is probably the CD-ROM drive itself.

and then about 4 min to convert the wav to mp3, on a 1GHz desktop.

It's quite slow encoding on this computer, using Lame (with RazorLame GUI)
Seems to take about the same time to encode WAV to MP3 as the length of
the music; eg, 60 minutes of audio takes about an hour.

However, I finally got around to trying what I'd been thinking about:
copy some WAV files to the new (reconditioned) Acer Aspire One mini laptop
with 1.6GHz processor. Encoding with the same default Lame settings took
roughly 15 minutes for WAV files representing an hour of audio.

Conversion speed

1.00 min per MB at 450MHz
.67 or so min per MB at 1GHz
.25 min at 1.6GHzA

I have a 2.8GHz machine that I never bothered to set up.

What make and model of player?
Trio 8830 (?) red, comes in 512, 1 and 2GB models with voice recorder and flash drive capability. We also have a 1GB Kanguru that looks identical but is silver and has the same features.
Reviews says the flash drive models don't need special software - just copy MP3 files to and from the computer. iPods apparently don't let you copy from player to computer (so you cannot reuse your paid downloads).

My 2Gb Sansa (C250, I think) with 1 AAA battery can still hold files, but
the LCD display became invisible, so it's kind of useless as a player.

http://www.repair4player.org
Trio is not listed, or Sansa (Sandisk is).

Our Kanguru has a broken headphone jack. We traded a repaired LCD monitor for this 512MB one. The monitor had a bad capacitor in the invertor boardf.

Now I have a 4Gb Sansa Clip. It has an essentially nonreplaceable battery,
which is charged through a mini-USB port from a computer or a separate
charger.

Ours is a plain AAA battery. It will charge lithium-ion via USB but also use others which you can charge externally. Even alkaline (20 min).

It supposedly can play a few kinds of files; it seems to do MP3 and OGG
fine, and I just tried a couple of chapters of audiobooks.
Haven't tried text yet; thanks for that idea.

This one does MP3, WMA but not OGG. Must be a very small computer.
Also displays a few words of text.

Yes, it's easy to move files to and from the computer; will try under
Linux. Since MS-Windows recognizes it as a logical drive, I suppose it's
in some MS-DOS or MS-Windows "disk" format? FAT16 or FAT32? What would
happen if I connected it to a Macintosh laptop?

USB storage, FAT with long file names like a regular USB flash drive. mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt after inserting the right modules and using a 2.4 USB-capable kernel (including David Moberg's 1-floppy USB linux). Works with our Mac desktop, auto detected, and if you click on it iTunes plays it.

I think it records voice via a built-in mike (through a pin-sized hole!),
and can record FM broadcasts.

8KHz default quality can be increased by changing settings but that records more noise, says one of the four reviews. Is yours reviewd?

Does yours have a radio tuner?

You can download podcasts of an hour or two. (Via broadband).

There are various programs to transfer files (photos, contacts) to and from linux computers via USB cable which we will try next if we can make a cable first. $3 at ebay. Just for fun since we don't use our cell phones, people just keep giving them to us.

Thanks again,

Sheldon Isaac
sheldonhisaac AT gmail.com