baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on CF IDE drive

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on CF IDE drive
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:41:15 +0000 (UTC)

The laptop with BL2 on CF card is coming by in 50 min to be donated to us because the owner thinks BL is too complicated to learn (and other linuxes need more than 48MB RAM to work with Firefox online).

Can I run pcmcia start and dhcp in an rc file, and/or boot directly to X without typing root and Enter key? If it comes up looking more like Windows and one only needs to click on a menu item, it should be acceptable. It is for use by a bright 8 year old who can learn to exit X and shut down. We gave her an Apple eMate which can do file transfer via PCMCIA memory card or CF card in adaptor. Don't know what format it produces.

I think I intimidated her father by describing how to edit XF86Config - the CL video chip on there only does 8-bit color so can't use Xvesa, and does not work with Xfbdev even though it does framebuffer console. He did manage to set up a DOS boot floppy and get into linux but was stymied by the prompt. He learned to delete a file.

Sindi Keesan