baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA - followup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA - followup
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:58:59 -0400

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Message from Steven
> ===================
>
>> > ------------------------
>> > mknod /dev/urandom c 1 9
>> > ------------------------
>>
>> Ok - I'll give this a shot as soon as I can make
>> time - can I put this command in /etc/rc to have
>> it run on boot or must I run it manually every
>> time I start the system?
>
> No, do not put it in /etc/rc.  You execute it
> once (from the commandline) and it creates the
> urandom device (permanently).

after I did the "mknod", udhcpc still is not working - it no longer
gives the error about /dev/urandom, but when I run it, it just says
"debug, sending discover" over and over...

>> > ---------------------------------------
>> > iwconfig wvlan0 enc s:xT3wY essid MYNET
>> > ---------------------------------------
>> > The enc parameter sets the encyption key.
>>
>> for a simple 64 bit hex WEP key, the enc parameter
>> should just be written "enc [key]", right?  not
>> using the "s:" switch?
>
> Yes.  The s: is only used for an alphanumeric key.

Using that command syntax does not work on my machine, and it still
takes multiple attempts, entering the same iwconfig command over and
over, before it will "take" the configuration I'm trying to set.

Wondering if maybe I installed the wireless tools package incorrectly
- when I installed it (copied the installer package from floppy to
hard drive, then ran "pkg wireless.tar.gz"), it installed the files,
but I found that execute permissions were denied for all users,
including root, so I had to "chmod" to set execute permissions (I just
set all permissions allowed for all users - not worried about security
at this point and trying to eliminate as many potential points of
failure as possible until I learn my way around better). This does
not seem like it should have been necessary, and leads me to wonder if
maybe I installed the tools package incorrectly.

Can you tell me how to uninstall, then step by step how to reinstall
the wireless tools package?

As always, thank you for your time and help - seems like this
shouldn't be that difficult to make work and it's rather
frustrating...

Thanks,
- John