baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA - followup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA - followup
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:19:21 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> the card seems to be functioning correctly now
> with the wvlan_cs module.  I get the two high beeps
> when I run /etc/pcmcia/start and I have gotten my
> networking configuration to the point where I am
> able to get a response when pinging other PCs on
> the network.
>
> 1)  Can't use "udhcpc"

Are you using any parameters with your udhcpc command?

> could not load seed from /dev/urandom: No such file
> or directory", then 3 lines of "debug,
> Should I have a /dev/urandom directory?

/dev/urandom is not a directory, it's a device.
You can create it with the mknod command:
------------------------
mknod /dev/urandom c 1 9
------------------------

> when I try to manually use the iwconfig command
> to configure wireless network options, it doesn't
> seem to "take" for awhile.  For example, I try to
> set the ESSID, using command
> "iwconfig eth0 ESSID on ESSID "[network name]" freq 2.462G".

Two issues here. When I use my wvlan wireless card,
it comes up as wvlan0, not eth0. If that is the same
with your card, you will need to use wvlan0 for your
iwconfig commands (and udhcpc).

Also, I suggest you try a simpler iwconfig command.
Here is what I use:
---------------------------------------
iwconfig wvlan0 enc s:xT3wY essid MYNET
---------------------------------------
The enc parameter sets the encyption key.

> I can't get internet connectivity. I've used
> ifconfig to set a static IP (192.168.1.44)  for
> interface eth0 (the wireless PCMCIA card), I've
> run "route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0"

Which computer are you running the route add command
on? It should be the system with the wireless card.
Also, I suggest you remove eth0 from the end of the
command. It is not necessary and it may confuse things.

> to set the default gateway to the wireless router's
> IP,

I assume you are able to ping that IP without problem.

> and I've edited the /etc/resolv.conf file to read
> "nameserver 192.168.1.1", since the router also
> serves DNS on my network

This is premature. I wouldn't worry about this until
everything else is working.

> Long story short, my router at 192.168.1.1 doesn't
> respond to ping from the baslinux machine

This is the heart of your problem. Before worrying
about internet connectivity, you need to be able to
ping this machine.

> all other devices on my network respond to pings
> to their IPs (192.168.1.2, .4, .5, etc).

It may be that your router does not see 192.168.1.44
because it did not assign that IP. Or perhaps your
router has been configured to see only a limited set
of IP addresses? I suggest you go back to udhcpc
and try to get the address that way (trying various
parameters as necessary). To see the available
parameters: udhcpc --help