baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA - followup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA - followup
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:05:12 -0400

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM, <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Message from Steven
> ===================
>
>> the card seems to be functioning correctly now
>> with the wvlan_cs module.  I get the two high beeps
>> when I run /etc/pcmcia/start and I have gotten my
>> networking configuration to the point where I am
>> able to get a response when pinging other PCs on
>> the network.
>>
>> 1)  Can't use "udhcpc"
>
> Are you using any parameters with your udhcpc command?

No - are there any in particular that you would suggest using?

>> could not load seed from /dev/urandom: No such file
>> or directory", then 3 lines of "debug,
>> Should I have a /dev/urandom directory?
>
> /dev/urandom is not a directory, it's a device.
> You can create it with the mknod command:
> ------------------------
> mknod /dev/urandom c 1 9
> ------------------------

Ok - I'll give this a shot as soon as I can make time - can I put this
command in /etc/rc to have it run on boot or must I run it manually
every time I start the system?

>> when I try to manually use the iwconfig command
>> to configure wireless network options, it doesn't
>> seem to "take" for awhile.  For example, I try to
>> set the ESSID, using command
>> "iwconfig eth0 ESSID on ESSID "[network name]" freq 2.462G".
>
> Two issues here.  When I use my wvlan wireless card,
> it comes up as wvlan0, not eth0.  If that is the same
> with your card, you will need to use wvlan0 for your
> iwconfig commands (and udhcpc).

eth0 is the device id that is presented when I run /etc/pcmcia/start,
but if I continue having issues, I'll try using device "wvlan0"
instead and see if it helps

> Also, I suggest you try a simpler iwconfig command.
> Here is what I use:
> ---------------------------------------
> iwconfig wvlan0 enc s:xT3wY essid MYNET
> ---------------------------------------
> The enc parameter sets the encyption key.

for a simple 64 bit hex WEP key, the enc parameter should just be
written "enc [key]", right? not using the "s:" switch?

>> I can't get internet connectivity.  I've used
>> ifconfig to set a static IP (192.168.1.44)  for
>> interface eth0 (the wireless PCMCIA card), I've
>> run "route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0"
>
> Which computer are you running the route add command
> on?  It should be the system with the wireless card.
> Also, I suggest you remove eth0 from the end of the
> command.  It is not necessary and it may confuse things.

Yep - running it on the baslinux machine with the wireless card - I'll
remove eth0 from the end to simplify

>> to set the default gateway to the wireless router's
>> IP,
>
> I assume you are able to ping that IP without problem.

no - that is the root of my problem with connectivity, I believe

>> and I've edited the /etc/resolv.conf file to read
>> "nameserver 192.168.1.1", since the router also
>> serves DNS on my network
>
> This is premature.  I wouldn't worry about this until
> everything else is working.
>
>> Long story short, my router at 192.168.1.1 doesn't
>> respond to ping from the baslinux machine
>
> This is the heart of your problem.  Before worrying
> about internet connectivity, you need to be able to
> ping this machine.
>
>> all other devices on my network respond to pings
>> to their IPs (192.168.1.2, .4, .5, etc).
>
> It may be that your router does not see 192.168.1.44
> because it did not assign that IP.  Or perhaps your
> router has been configured to see only a limited set
> of IP addresses?  I suggest you go back to udhcpc
> and try to get the address that way (trying various
> parameters as necessary).  To see the available
> parameters: udhcpc --help

Again, thanks very much - I'll try all this stuff as soon as I can and
get back to you.