baslinux - Re: [BL] A small secure sshd package

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] A small secure sshd package
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 18:39:42 +0200

Hi Sindi,

Thx for reply. First I've tried now to configure openssh-3.9p1 by installing your minimum Openssl package. Additionally I've also copied libcrypto.a from the /lib directory  also to /usr/lib, usr/local/lib and /usr/local/ssl, but no result. I'm still getting the message :

configure:12868: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see config.log for details) ***

Any idea what is going on and where to look for? The log contains just the same sentence as above and has no further references to libcrypto at all. So, I'm stuck right now. I've tried also to configure openssh with the option --with-ssl-dir=/lib, containing the libcrypto, but it gives just the same result. Maybe it's time now to give dropbear a trial.

Tot horens,

Willem

[btw, I´m really a newbie about compiling, never done it before till 2 days ago when I compiled and installed zlib and additionally did some follow-up trials...]

Op zaterdag 02-05-2009 om 13:52 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org:

> Thx for your help. My first question, can dropbear be used with a plain
> ssh client or works it only with a dropbear client? Additionally, while

I think you can use it with ssh.  I know you can use dbclient with sshd.
dbclient is much smaller than ssh.

ssh-uclibc that Steven compiled is 288K
dbclient-glibc-2.2.5 that I compiled is 117K
The uclibc version is 144K.
It probably does less than ssh but I don't care.

> visiting your site I saw that you have compiled a minimal openssl
> package with libcrypto. Is it an also option that I can use that package
> for still compiling the Openssh-3.9p1 sshd deamon? And if so, must I
> first set/export a path so that configure can find it?

I think usually the Makefile looks for header files in standard places.

I did most of my compiling with gcc 2.95.3/glibc 2.2.5, or uclibc, which
both work for dropbear.  Mplayer 1 required a later gcc and glibc.

I don't really understand how compiling works.  I read the instructions
and download the missing libraries.  Baslinux is the only linux I have
used.  Another list member taught me how to compile.

I have a libcrypto.a in the asmutils source package - would that help you?
Statically linked, 47K
Written in assembly language to be smaller

/usr/include/crypt.h

Also a libcrypto.a 2MB in /usr/local/ssl/lib (and libssl.a).
I also have it in /usr/lib/ssl, maybe used by a different
version of lynx?

/lib/libcrypt.so.1

> Regards,
>
> Willem