baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiling after glibc upgrade

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiling after glibc upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:52:46 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/mplayer-1.0pre7try2-glibc236

Compiled with gcc 3.4.6 from Slackware 11

About 5.5MB.

Plays DVDs in mode vesa (but not yet svga or x11), and wav and mp3 including streaming audio (unlike the version compiled with gcc 2.95.3) but not yet oggs.

I think svga worked until after I played in vesa mode. LCD monitors
don't work in svga mode - wrong frequency. Vesa mode screen blanks frequently. Use uclibc-mplayer with x11.

Use alone or with mplayer plugin or lynx or links configuration files.

MPlayer1.0rc2 would not compile for me with gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.3.6.

Did not try with the later gcc since pre7try2 should work with the plugin (which I did not yet test).

I will try
rc1.0pre7try2 with glibc 2.3.6 (and/or 2.2.5). 0.93 compiled fine with
2.2.5 but the plugin needs rc1pre7try2 or later.

This version compiled after I configured --disable-x11 (I am not set up to
compile for X11 apparently). It plays DVDs with svga or vesa (vesa exits
badly, chvts and reset) but only for dvd://1 not dvd://1-20 (it says this
title DVD 1-20 is not found). Same for the 0.93 that I compiled. The
uclibc version plays 1-20.

This gcc 3.4.6 version plays dvd://1-20.

It plays wav and mp3 files offline. I did not include ogg support (I
failed trying).

If I try to play streaming audio it crashes quickly.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module:open_stream
--Mplayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM

It can be a bug in MPlayer code or your drivers or your gcc version.

gcc 2.95.3 - worked for mplayer 0.93 and is said to work for the latest
1.0rc2. I may try with a later gcc from Slackware 11.

The problem was with gcc. The instructions stating that gcc 2.95.3 should work for the latest mplayer appear to be outdated.