baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiling after glibc upgrade

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiling after glibc upgrade
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:19:38 +0000 (UTC)

MPlayer1.0rc2 would not compile for me with gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.3.6.

I will try
rc1.0pre7try2 with glibc 2.3.6 (and/or 2.2.5). 0.93 compiled fine with
2.2.5 but the plugin needs rc1pre7try2 or later.

This version compiled after I configured --disable-x11 (I am not set up to compile for X11 apparently). It plays DVDs with svga or vesa (vesa exits badly, chvts and reset) but only for dvd://1 not dvd://1-20 (it says this title DVD 1-20 is not found). Same for the 0.93 that I compiled. The uclibc version plays 1-20.

It plays wav and mp3 files offline. I did not include ogg support (I failed trying).

If I try to play streaming audio it crashes quickly.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module:open_stream
--Mplayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM
(recompile and debug - another year?)

It can be a bug in MPlayer code or your drivers or your gcc version.

Mplayer code obviously worked with uclibc and for the authors.
My sound drivers work with the uclibc version.

gcc 2.95.3 - worked for mplayer 0.93 and is said to work for the latest 1.0rc2. I may try with a later gcc from Slackware 11.

This version stripped to 5.7MB. 0.93 to about 3MB (no X11 support).
Neither is useful for watching DVDs as compiled.

The working solution remains to use mplayer plugin online with the uclibc version pre7try2 (which does not resolve DNS numbers on its own) and to listen to files directly without the plugin (pls, or without mozilla-based browser) use the mplayer 0.93 that I compiled which does resolve DNS numbers but won't work with the plugin because it is too old. It should work with lynx or links when they are configured correctly.

Use the uclibc version to watch DVDs, with x11, svga or vesa.

Seems like the newer the version the more problems - won't work online with pre7try2, won't even compile 1.0rc2.