baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:46:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Hi Steven and Sindi,

> I'm thinking now that maybe somehow LILO is
> not installing itself correctly. When i use
> mount /dev/hda1 /hd and have the /hd/boot
> entries in /etc/lilo.conf, and then run lilo -v,
> i get this message:
>
> ------------------
> Reading boot sector from /hd/boot
> open /hd/boot: Is a directory
> -------------------
>
> Is that telling me that there is a problem?
>
> Also, how can i install LILO to a boot floppy
> while i'm experimenting?
>
> Should i finally just install LILO into the MBR?
>
> How can i check the MBR to find out if i already
> did install LILO there?

I finally did end up installing LILO directly
into the MBR, and everything worked fine since.

Part of my dual-boot problem was that i didn't
have a copy of chain.b anywhere. I solved that
by finding this webpage:

http://logicassembly.com/linux/basic_linux_install.htm

I basically just rewrote my /etc/lilo.conf file
to look almost exactly like the one there, and
lilo -v installed into the MBR and all works well.

Now i have a very cheap old laptop that runs a
well-stocked Windows 95 *and* a nice BL 3.50!
Thanks, guys.

-monz