baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 20:00:02 +0000 (UTC)

My resident hardware expert was trying to explain about real and interpreted cylinders. Maybe yours are interpreted (the 993 cylinders for 4GB) and you really have 9000 or so and are really beyond the limit?

When I tried to install lilo with linux in the second gigabyte of several hard disks, it would not work until I put the boot.b and kernel in the first gigabyte, so give it a try anyway (you can install lilo to /dev/fd0 while learning).

You are right it IS cylinders but this may
still be your problem. My 4.3GB has nearly
9000 cylinders so if you put linux in the
last quarter of your 4GB, you are way beyond
the 1024 cylinder limit.

Hmm ... well then, no, that's not why i'm
having a problem. My hard-drive only has
993 cylinders. Here's my fdisk -l again:

/<#>fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 4099 MB, 4099866624 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 993 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes