baslinux - Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] LILO and booting problems
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:41:16 +0000 (UTC)

1024 sectors (about 1GB).

Duh ... i knew that, but for some reason kept
thinking that it was OK if it was in the first
1024 *cylinders*! I think that's been my problem
all along. Thanks.

You are right it IS cylinders but this may still be your problem. My 4.3GB has nearly 9000 cylinders so if you put linux in the last quarter of your 4GB, you are way beyond the 1024 cylinder limit.

You can make another /boot directory in the first
1GB:
It might need to be the first 1/2 GB (1024 cylinders).

mount /dev/hda1 /hd
mkdir /hd/boot
edit lilo.conf to change /boot to /hd/boot,
copy kernel and boot.b from /boot to /hd/boot
lilo -v.

Thanks for explaining that!
I'll try it and report back.

Don't i also have to edit /etc/fstab so that
/hd will automatically mount at boot-up?

BL3 appears to boot even if you forget to do this (BL2 does not) but yes edit to match your partitions (after you boot, or using floppy-disk BL3 to edit the ext2 version).

Try something like this after you mount /dev/hda1
/hd and copy
kernel and boot.b to /hd/boot/. Change hda7 to
hda6, default=BL3, and
delete the BL2 part if you want only DOS and BL3.
This is for DOS in the first partition (I forget
where yours is).

I think you got my post confused with another
recent one which has BL2 and BL3 in /etc/lilo.conf.
My /dev/hda7 is a Linux-swap partition, and
i only have BL3 and Windows95.

No, I posted my own lilo.conf and I use BL2 and BL3 and DOS. My hda7 holds BL3 and hda9 is BL2. This was just an example. Edit to fit your setup. Sindi

-monz