baslinux - Re: [BL] Voodoo3 pci

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux Mailing List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Voodoo3 pci
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:33:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Herman Mansilla wrote:

Hi,
I just installed BasicLinux 3.4 on my PC, details
Mainboard KT400
Processor AMD Athlon XP 1600Mhz
256 MB Ram
VgaCard Voodoo3 PCI 16MB

We have a Voodoo 3D video card working in framebuffer mode with (I think) not Xvesa but the xsvga X server. Try that, with Steven's no-xvesa.tgz package (it provides a few needed libraries and things including as a generic XF86Config for up to 800x600 dpi - I posted one that goes to higher resolution) and xsvga.tgz from Slackware 4.0. Or look online to make sure the SVGA server supports this card.

30GB HardDisk

It boots without problems, but I cannot start XWindow
it gives some wierd error message about
an interrupt not going to the ROM

Sometimes Xvesa does not work when you boot from DOS with loadlin, and you need to bypass startup files by hitting F5 while booting. But some video cards simply do not work with Xvesa, which is the X server used by BL3.40 by default.

I would like to hear some hints on solving this.
Maybe this machine is not old enough :-)

I will try tomorrow with a real old machine :-)
486dx4 100MHz
8MB ram
400MB HardDisk
VgaCard RivaTNT PCI 16MB
I will report how it boots in this old machine.

I have a Riva 128 card (4MB RAM) made by nvidia which works perfectly with both Xvesa and the SVGA X server.

Sindi

Thanks,
-Bye
HHMM