baslinux - Re: [BL] Voodoo3 pci

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Voodoo3 pci
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:58:42 +1200

Herman Mansilla wrote:

> I just installed BasicLinux 3.4 on my PC, details
> Processor AMD Athlon XP 1600Mhz
> 256 MB Ram
> VgaCard Voodoo3 PCI 16MB
>
> It boots without problems, but I cannot start XWindow

Are you running from HD, floppies, or DOS loop file?

> it gives some wierd error message about
> an interrupt not going to the ROM

Does that happen when you select VGA (640x480x4) ?

> Maybe this machine is not old enough :-)

Actually that could be the problem.

> I will try tomorrow with a real old machine :-)
> 486dx4 100MHz
> 400MB HardDisk

Perfect!

> 8MB ram

The floppy version of BL3 needs 12mb RAM, so you will first
need the DOS version. I suggest you use DOS fdisk to make
a small bootable DOS partition. 40mb is sufficient (but
you can go up to 127mb if you run DOS applications on that
machine). Alternatively, you could use FIPS to shrink an
existing DOS partition (but that is not as clean).

Probably the biggest issue is getting the 2.9mb zip file to
the machine. If you have a null-modem (laplink) cable, you
can use DOS interlnk/intersvr to transfer the file. Or you
could split the file into two pieces (using a DOS or Linux
utility) and move it via floppy. Then reassemble it using
the DOS copy command.

> Since the name of the Distribution is BasicLinux,
> it would be nice if it included a Basic Language
> interpreter like Chimpmunk Basic or Yabasic

There's no room for that in the basic 3mb distribution,
but it could certainly be an add-on.

> I prefer Yabasic, check www.yabasic.de

I'll have a look.

> the initial Ramdisk that you are using mounts the
> partition as msdos filesystem, which does not let you
> see the long filenames from Windows, Why no mount it
> as vfat instead?

vfat capability makes the kernel larger. If you want
that capability, you should get the vfat.o module from
the fs directory of the 2.2.26 modules (at the BL3 site)
and put it in /lib/modules/2.2.26/misc directory of BL3.
Then execute:
insmod vfat
If you want this done automatically (at system startup),
you can put that command in /etc/rc