baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa and mouse problems

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa and mouse problems
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:43:23 -0600 (CST)

Another possible resolution for Xvesa startup problems owing to DOS config files that I've run across lately is to use syslinux. I was fiddling with a laptop on which Xvesa would not start recently when booting from DOS (FreeDOS boot floppy), despite the fact that no memory management was being used. I finally decided to put syslinux on a floppy and tried booting from it: Xvesa then started just fine. It is possible to boot even a DOS hard drive partition using syslinux. It's not recommended, but it apparently does work (I didn't try it, but the syslinux site seemed to indicate it could work). Maybe booting the system using syslinux is the way to go to get around these DOS/Xvesa conflicts. A boot menu could be configured that would allow booting into either DOS or BL.

James