baslinux - [BL] lynx 'error uncompressing temporary file' and BL3.40 mail problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] lynx 'error uncompressing temporary file' and BL3.40 mail problem
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:36:52 +0000 (UTC)

I have been getting this error frequently using David's uclibc-static lynx 2.6.16dev16 static, compiled without libz.

A test showed that the lynx 2.8.5 that I compiled did not get this error at one website, so I put it back and did some more web research.

A search on this phrase and libz got me one hit, with 2.8.5, which I could not read because it had an 'error uncompressing temporary file'.

So this probably is not related to libz, it is a lynx shortcoming.

Research using links2 tried to explain the problem, something to do with HTTP1, and browsers other than lynx don't have it, and they were supposed to fix the problem but seem to have made it worse instead.

I have gone back to 2.8.5 and if I still can't read a site, I use links2 as a downloader (go to the link and type D and choose view with links2). Unfortunately Steven's static links2 was compiled without SSL and the delilinux one (or was it JP's?) has lots of dependencies (libjpeg, libpng, libtiff, libc.6...).

With luck, the released 2.8.6 will work better on compressed files (compressed with gzip).

If you installed the new package and want to use the older version:

You need lynx.cfg and lynx.lss in different places for the two packages since they were compiled that way. /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg for David's, and I think it is /usr/lib/lynx.cfg for mine - it will complain and tell you where it goes. I posted both packages as well as the new binary.

lynx.lss is needed if you want to change colors. Without it you see green on black, which I like. With it you can in theory set underlines to show up as underlines on a TTL monitor but mdacon won't show underlines.
It might go in /lib or /usr/lib for the old version - try both until it works.

If two people request it I will post the old binary standalone. The old package is larger because it includes lots of documentation (which I separated out when I made the new package).

Mail is not working for me in BL3. If I type 6 often nothing happens, and sometimes I get one line of confusing text starting 0/0 term 128x47 (I forget - is it supposed to work like this?. One time I was able to type 1 and get the configuration screen but since then nothing at all happens.

Q always works to quit the menu. I notice that the numbers and Q are in bold. This caused problems for me in an early version of BL3. I might try editing the menu to remove the bold and see if it works better.

BL3.4 with Opera 7.23 is working nicely for our friend, who now wants DSL because his site is too slow. We proved it was not the hard drive yesterday. BL3.40 loads in 25 seconds (busybox takes longer for ext2 than loop - why, does it check the drive for something?). Opera in about the same.