baslinux - [BL] Xvesa and mouse problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa and mouse problems
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:41:55 +0000 (UTC)

For one of our keyboards, you need to have a mouse plugged in before using Xvesa or you will get a red pointer and a frozen keyboard. The same keyboard (when not frozen) interprets the Numlock key as a tilde, in X.

We recently recycled a board with bad PS/2 and serial ports and since then my partner has been putting drmouse in autoexec.bat to test mice before installing linux. It gives a message if no mouse found, PS/2 or serial.

We spent all day yesterday trying to get BL3.40 to run with Xvesa on two hard drives in three computers. With kernel 2.2.26 or 2.2.16 we got the familiar two lines (repeated) after typing startx: Interrupt pointer... [doesn't point at ROM?)] - flashed by quickly and then no vts were usable.
I could reboot Ctrl-Alt-Del (blind).

F5 at boot fixed the problem, so we tried various DOSes and booting without emm386 and himem.sys, which did not help. Xvesa worked after booting from floppy disk with FreeDOS, Win98 DOS, DOS 7.1, but not from hard drive with our autoexec.bat file (modified for FreeDOS).

Xvesa worked on another computer and the only difference in files in memory was drmouse so my partner finally removed that and the problem was fixed. ctmouse and Logitech mouse driver also interfere with Xvesa.

With kernel 2.4.31 on another computer, only the first vt is affected and the error message is different:
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unexpected signal 13
_X11TransocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect: errno=111
giving up

This repeats over and over and I cannot kill xinit - it tries again (because it is set up to respawn on this computer). But with the usual inittab setup it should be possible to kill xinit and at least use console mode before you reboot again to DOS and linux.

Not loading ctmouse first eliminates the problem.

I have not tried with BL2 and any Xvesa, but I recommend that people unload any DOS mouse drivers before using Xvesa in the boot script.

We don't normally use a DOS mouse so never had the problem before.