baslinux - Re: [BL] Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Abiword in Bl2 was Re: dosemu? wp51?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:25:27 -0700

On 8/18/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, David Moberg wrote:
>
> > I thought that BL3 came with libX11.so.6.
>
> Mine does not have it. Abiword still works but maybe xset it not needed.

Are you sure? In BL3, what happens when you ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/xset?

> >> Where do I get a wrapper shell script?
> >
> > It comes with the BL3 abiword.tgz package. It is located at
> > /usr/local/AbiSuite/bin/AbiWord.
>
> I get the same error message using the script as with plain abiword.

abiword just calls the script, which is supposed to set up those fonts.

> How do I add font paths on the command line (for Xves or xfbdev - which
> works better with Tseng as I was able to exit three different ways without
> crashing)?

Xserver(1) says:

-fp fontPath
sets the search path for fonts. This path is a comma separated list of
directories which the X server searches for font databases.

So Xvesa -fp /fontpath should do what you want.

> > Make sure that /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts contains the fonts and that
> there
> > are no broken links or missing fonts.dir/alias files.
>
> Lots of fonts there including fonts.dir and fonts.scale but not
> fonts.alias

My mistake. It is not needed anyway.

> (which I do have in BL3 in another fonts directory under
> X11R6). Do I need to copy that over?

No.

> It did not contain Times.

Because it wasn't intended for the Abiword fonts.

> > AbiWord should work now. You can run the actual binary with
> > /usr/local/AbiSuite//bin/AbiWord_s (but you will probably need to
> > use the AbiWord script to set up the environment variables).
>
> It does not, maybe because xset fp+ does not seem to work.
> Have you a copy of static Abiword to try with BL2?

Yes, but I don't think that I will be able to tell you anything more than
what you already know. Sometime I will test the SW71 xset with Xvesa
and verify that there is a problem there.

> Does Abiword really need 2.4MB of fonts?

Yes, unless an alternate method (as you suggest) will work.

> Could I reduce this to just one monospaced and one proportional font
> and set up some alias to point to these?

Maybe. I will try to modify the fonts.* files and report back.

David