baslinux - [BL] LILO problems

  • From: Jeffrey Valcher <jvalcher AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] LILO problems
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:57:27 -0500

I'm attempting to run basiclinux from LILO.

I have a feeling that I'm making this way more complicated than it
really is. Try to not to laugh too hard. :)
I ran the program Copy Commander and set up a more the generous Linux,
ext2, 1,300MB partition (hda2)
I ran all the necessary mke2fs and mkswap (hda3).
I ran the BAS-HD.tgz program.
I then mounted /dev/hda2 to /hd.
I copied /boot/boot.b to /hd/boot.
I copied the zimage to /hd/boot.
I edited the lilo.conf :

boot=/dev/hda2
root=/dev/hda2
install=/boot/boot.b
image=/boot/zimage
label=BL3
root=/dev/hda2
initrd=/sbin/init <--(wasn't too sure about this)
read-write

I remembered reading somewhere that I had to go to /sbin and type
'lilo' to configure it. When I did this it came up with "Sorry, don't
know how to handle device 0x0100. This could be one (of many) of my
problems. :)

I edited /etc/fstab :

/dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/fd0 /fd noauto msdos 0 0
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Having done all this I made hda2 bootable with fdisk and it promptly
came up with: Warning: partition 2 has empty type. I ignored this,
(w)rote it to disk, and rebooted my laptop. It would end up stopping
with the blinking " _ " prompt.
I'm relatively new to Linux so try not to assume I have done things
that would seem basic to setting up LILO that I haven't mentioned
above. I've never set up LILO before, and I'm still a bit hazy on the
boot process. In case it matters, my laptop is an old Thinkpad 755cx
(sans cd drive).

  • [BL] LILO problems, Jeffrey Valcher, 08/25/2005