baslinux - Re: [BL] Host not found error

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Host not found error
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:32:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 RandumAri AT netscape.net wrote:

Hi!
I'm excited about Basic Linux (3)! I tried a couple other minimalist
distributions, but no other had exactly what I was looking for (plus my CD
drive is kind of broken).
I'll get to the point: everything works nicely, except dial-up connection. ppp-on
connects fine (and doesn't connect if I pppsetup a wrong password); however, once I'm
connected, neither pinging websites nor trying to access them via Links works. Links
gives me the error "Host not found." ps shows that the connection is
running, and ppp-off terminates it correctly. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

A couple things I should mention are that the modem is dialling pulse (I can hear it… sounds strange) and also, I could connect fine when I was using Blueflops Linux. Oh yeah, and is there a way to see the connection log? I couldn't figure it out.

Did you tell it to dial pulse by starting the phone number with P?

For the log:
eznet log
or (same result)
less /var/eznet/transcript.0

Use a terminal program after exiting your connection and type the ati0, ati1, etc. commands. For USR, ati6 tells your previous connections speeds (up and down). Don't recall what other makers use.

I forget how to do this with minicom.

Thanks for your help!
Lazarith

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.