baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 at school

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: kingjon AT grex.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 at school
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:42:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

A friend will be starting college and was told in order
access the school internet connection he needs Windows or Macintosh.

I don't believe this. Our local university insists that people run a
Windows CD to connect but I know you can access with any TCP/IP type
dialer.

If he put in an ethernet card and insmodded it, what else would it be
necessary to know (IP number?) and do to obtain a connection using BL3?

What this usually means is that they will not _support_ any other OS. Students who call the school IT dept. with problems can't get any help unless they're running Win or Mac. That said, I'll just bet the network is set up like about any other wired network and runs a dhcp server that will hand out an address to any dhcp client that can make a physical connection--regardless of what OS that client runs on. I know my own U network is set up like this. So, if he has support for his NIC (in the form of the module you mention) and can run a dhcp client, he should be able to get on the network using Linux with no problems so long as he has access to one of the U.'s ethernet jacks..

Around this University, it's become clear to me that M$ is making education into an arm of its marketing department. Here they even tell you which version of Windows you need to be running. And if you don't run one new enough, you simply can't do certain things (like get on the wireless network they run or use campus-wide printing)--at least not without a bit of hacking. Talk about a racket . . .

James