baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 at school

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: kingjon AT grex.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 at school
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:58:54 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> A friend will be starting college and was told in order
> access the school internet connection he needs Windows or Macintosh.
>
> I don't believe this.

It seems possible but I think it is far more likely that it is usable
with BL.

> If he put in an ethernet card and insmodded it, what else would it be
> necessary to know (IP number?) and do to obtain a connection using BL3?

You need to know what type of network this is. If this is the most
common type, you would only need BL3 and a network card which is
supported by BL3. You would then follow a procedure similar to that
which is described in /root/netsetup (using dhcp to handle the
ifconfig). You could probably then install Samba and access the
file server, or just fire up links to test the network connection.

Of course, none of this will work if it is not a standard TCP/IP
network. It could be some almost-proprietary NetBEUI/NetBIOS network,
or some AOL-like completely proprietary network which needs Windows
or Mac software to work. But I don't think this is very likely.

Mac OS X primarily uses a network setup which is very similar
to other Unix-like operating systems such as BL.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com

  • Re: [BL] BL3 at school, David Moberg, 07/04/2005
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [BL] BL3 at school, David Moberg, 07/04/2005