baslinux - Re: [BL] EXT2-fs error ----> cannot boot

  • From: "Alejandro Lieber" <dos AT lieber.com.ar>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] EXT2-fs error ----> cannot boot
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:24:14

>From the loop, doing:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2

gives:

e2fsck: Attemp to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read while trying to open /dev/hda2
could be a zero-lenght partition ?

but fdisk gives the correct size for hda2.

I think the problem began after I mounted the loop to hda2,
and ended the sesion without unmounting it.

Luckily, I have a nearly identical loop copy of the hda2 files, so I
will format again hda2 and transfer the loop to hda2 with Steven
script.

Alejandro.

On 28 Feb 05 at 8:26, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Alejandro Lieber wrote:
> >
> > After using BL3 for several months, I get the
> > following error trying to boot form the HD:
> >
> > EXT2-fs error ...ext2_check_descriptor:
> > Block bitmap for group 0 not in group !
> > EXT2-fs: group descriptor corrupted |
>
> This is probably coming from e2fsck (which runs
> automatically in /etc/rc). Normally e2fsck silently
> fixes little problems with the filesystem, but this
> appears to be a big one. There are several possible
> causes: bad sector on HD, HD controller error, user
> error (eg misdirected dd), cosmic rays, usw.
>
> sindi keesan wrote:
>
> > My Linux Doctor suggests that you try
> > e2fsck -b 8193 (partition)
>
> That's worth a try. Mount the partition from outside
> (eg from a ramdisk version of BasicLinux) and try some
> e2fsck commands. See "man e2fsck" for an explanation
> of what different options mean.
>
> BTW, even when the system is booting OK, it might be
> reassuring to see what e2fsck is doing at boot. By
> default BL3 runs e2fsck quietly, but you can make the
> output visible by doing the following:
> edit /etc/rc
> change "e2fsck -pf" to "e2fsck -f"
> put # in front of last line (cat /etc/issue)
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

Read net news (USENET) with Arachne: http://www.lieber.com.ar/nnews.zip
Sans Serif fonts for MS-DOS at: http://www.lieber.com.ar/novafont.zip
Configurable dialing menu for several DOS internet programs at:
http://www.lieber.com.ar/dial_ip.zip

Ing. Alejandro Lieber
Rosario Argentina