baslinux - Re: [BL] EXT2-fs error ----> cannot boot

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] EXT2-fs error ----> cannot boot
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 05:10:53 +0000 (UTC)

See my old posting:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2004-October/005530.html
in which I succeeded by using
e2fsck -b 16385 /dev/hdx
and answered N to all questions.
You could also try e2fxck -b 26385 -n /dev/hdx

The hard drive was going bad and had to be recycled not long after this.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

From the loop, doing:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2

Try multiples of 4096 WITHOUT adding the 1 - another site suggested 32768 and 98304 and 163840. I really don't understand this but I did get it working once. Unfortunately the superblock backups are in different places on different drives and mke2fs reports them and I never bother to write that down.

I recall getting a message something like yours but somehow I got it to work.

gives:

e2fsck: Attemp to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read while trying to open /dev/hda2
could be a zero-lenght partition ?

but fdisk gives the correct size for hda2.

I think the problem began after I mounted the loop to hda2,
and ended the sesion without unmounting it.

Luckily, I have a nearly identical loop copy of the hda2 files, so I
will format again hda2 and transfer the loop to hda2 with Steven
script.

Alejandro.