baslinux - Re: [BL] syslinux where loadlin fails and lilo was not installed

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] syslinux where loadlin fails and lilo was not installed
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 04:14:16 +0000 (UTC)

So why did they say it could damage 'the partition' to install lilo? I thought they were talking about crashing the hard disk.

SW81 offered us basic or advanced lilo installation but then scared us off. It did not offer loadlin instead, just 'no boot loader' except for the boot floppy with syslinux.

I will look at the lilo setup more closely if we can figure out how to get back to it now that we exited setup.

Now we at least have two alternate ways to get into SW81 if lilo fails.

We have just now fixed the loadlin boot problem. Unlike the case in three other computers (which work with loadlin under Win98 DOS but not otherwise) this would not boot about half the time even with Win98 DOS. In this case 'not an image file' actually meant that the image file was corrupted. Strange that it booted anyway part of the time.
All the linuxes on there now boot with loadlin all of the time.

Syslinux appears not to be intended for use on the hard drive.