baslinux - Re: [BL] MS-DOS 7.10 disappeared my C: files

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MS-DOS 7.10 disappeared my C: files
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 04:24:23 +0000 (UTC)

Is there some way to tar all but selected directories of a partition?
I am trying to replace the disappeared files on C: without also including Windows and Progra~1, via linux ethernet file transfer.

I can simply use DOS llpro to transfer the 100MB of DOS files (I would have to move the computers together as the cable is shorter) but would rather learn more about tar. The --help and man pages for BL2 (non-busybox) tar have something about --exclude-from=FILE, where FILE is a list of globbing patterns, whatever that is. I made a file with the names of the directories to exclude, which did not work.

The busybox tar has far fewer switches but has proved useful other times.

Linux will boot from the D: or C: drives when the computer is formatted/sysed with DOS 7.10. If I boot with FreeDOS floppy disk loadlin does not work ('not an image file') even with the kernel on the partition formatted with 7.10. If the kernel is on a floppy disk formatted with Win98 DOS loadlin works. So I am stuck with DOS 7.10 for this computer unless someone can explain how to set up lilo to choose between DOS, BL3 and BL2, with DOS as default.

I do not want to send files/directories via linux one at at time because I have dozens of DOS directories to transfer (which together take up 1/3 the space of Windows and do more). I may do the larger ones that way and the rest with llpro.