baslinux - Re: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:05:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Is RAM in 386s and 486 laptops at all standardized? Are HDs?

My experience with older laptops says no to both - especially RAM. I
think RAM was strictly proprietary (i.e., peculiar to each manufacturer)
through the 486 era. HD's would be more exchangeable, though I think size
varied quite a bit on those older machines. Thus, while the cable/plug
arrangment might be compatible, the sizing might forbid easy exchange of
drives. For RAM you have another option, though: they used to make memory
expansion cards that fit into PCMCIA slots. You're much more likely to
find these - and at reasonable prices - than the older proprietary RAM
chips. If you don't need 1 or both PCMCIA slots, this is likely the
cheapest way to upgrade memory in an old laptop.

James