baslinux - Re: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:12:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > > BL1 2.0.34 464762
> > > BL3 2.2.16 435775
> >
> > How did you get it smaller than the older kernel?
>
> By eliminating many unnecessary capabilities.
>
> > Are there features missing that we might want to have,
> > as a reason to also use the BL1 kernel once in a while?
>
> The BL1 kernel is the bare.i kernel from Slackware 3.5.
> It has the full range of capabilities.

Okay, no need to even copy it from BL1 then, I can download if needed for
experiments with sound. What other capabilities omitted from BL3 would
people normally want bare.i for?

> > So is there any advantage to anyone of using BL1,
>
> Not really. BL3 is a big improvement over BL1.
> Leaner/faster and more capable.
>
> > I have been using DOS on it. I don't know if I have space
> > for 6M swap and linux and DOS.
>
> How big is the HD? Even 40mb is enough:
> -----------
> DOS 25
> BL3 10
> swap 5
> -----------
> After you install BL3, delete the contents of /usr/X11R6.
> That should give you a comfortable amount of room to work
> with. BTW swap is not optional for 3mb RAM. You definitely
> need swap if you want to run Linux with so little RAM.

30MB drive. I will see if we can find a larger drive among the dead 386
and 486 laptops that is compatible with that computer. I could remove
Arachne from DOS to make space and have DOS in 5MB.

> > It sounds like linux and links with a viewer won't work
> > in 3MB RAM
>
> The viewer needs svgalib. That's when 3mb RAM gets overloaded.
Perhaps with swap space and low color depth it would work (4-bit).
I will experiment and measure RAM usage with Xvesa plus xli, links plus
zgv, and links graphical (the latter both svgalib).

> > > A stripped version of vimage. It only views GIFs.
> > I see why you switched to xli and Xvesa.
>
> That's not why I switched to Xvesa. I could have put a more
> capable viewer in BL1 without switching to X.
Would the more capable viewer (based on svgalib?) take up less RAM than X?

> > BL3 does seem better in all respects (other than the lack
> > of ftp).
>
> ftp is not worth the space (which is limited to what can fit
> on two floppies). ftp downloads are better handled by wget.

We had a problem with ftp uploads and ftpput, which won't put to addresses
starting with a '.' But probably nobody else was assigned such a strange
address. And busybox wget would not do * downloads. ftp uploads are used
when constructing websites, or do people have some other way?

> Fewer users need ftp uploads (you are the only one who seems
> to miss it). The ftp client was removed in BL2. There was
> no good reason to restore it in BL3. I would, however, be
> happy to consider creating an add-on package for ftp.

That would be helpful, and might save you time in explaining how to add
it.