baslinux - Re: [BL] Basic Linux installation

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basic Linux installation
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:53:40 +1300

Theo Perry wrote:

> On turning the machine on, it boots into DOS. At the
> C:\ prompt I type 'Boot'.
> Linux starts. At the welcome screen I type in 'root'
> The response is:
> login[33]:ROOT LOGIN on 'tty1'
> ~<#>
>
> I type in:
> installpkg xbin.tgz

> The response is:
> Cannot install xbin.tgz:package does not end in .tgz
> <#>

This might be a silly question, but is xbin.tgz actually
in that directory? If it is, try the following:
-------------
file xbin.tgz
-------------

> The same thing happens with all the packages which are in
> the DOS partition on the root directory.

If the packages are on the DOS partition, then you will need
to mount that partition before you can install them.

> I do not know enough yet to find my way around the Linux file
> and directory systems.

The easiest way to explore the filesystem is to execute d
and use the arrow keys to move around.

> On shutting down there is a reference to being unable to
> unmount the hard drive as unable to find the directory.

That's strange. Sounds like there's something wrong in
your /etc/fstab.