baslinux - RE: [BL] Basic Linux installation

  • From: "Theo Perry" <theo.perry AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [BL] Basic Linux installation
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:48:59 +1300

Thanks again for your help.

The machine is an old 486/66 with 8 mb of RAM. I have partitioned 540
meg HD into a 100meg DOS partition and 100 meg Linux partition. The
Linux partition was created by the BasicLinux installation.

On turning the machine on, it boots into DOS. At the C:\ prompt I type
'Boot'.

Linux starts. At the welcome screen I type in 'root'
The response is:

login[33]:ROOT LOGIN on 'tty1'
~<#>

I type in:

installpkg xbin.tgz
The response is:

Cannot install xbin.tgz:package does not end in .tgz
<#>

The same thing happens with all the packages which are in the DOS
partition on the root directory. I do not know enough yet to find my way
around the Linux file and directory systems.

One clue (possibly)

On shutting down there is a reference to being unable to unmount the
hard drive as unable to find the directory. Everything flashes by so
fast that I cannot read it properly.

Thanks again.

Theo

> Can anyone offer any other suggestions as to why these
> packages do not install

Either the file is corrupted (somehow) or there is a
problem with the command you are entering.

> and/or the meaning of the message.

Please tell us again what that message is. And precisely
what command you entered to get it.

---