baslinux - [BL] Basic Linux installation

  • From: "Theo Perry" <theo.perry AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: "Basic Linux List" <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Basic Linux installation
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:45:09 +1300

I am a real newbie to Linux and am trying to install Basic Linux to an old 486/66 with 8 meg of ram.

I have partitioned 100 meg of hard disk for the DOS boot system and used a further 100 meg for the Linux partition during setup.

The DOS partition has DOS 5.0

Basic Linux has installed, apparently smoothly enough and after booting and entering “root” I am faced with a # which I guess is the command prompt. My next task is to install the GUI and this is where things seem to go wrong. On typing (for example) “installpkg xbin.tgz” an error message comes up saying “Cannot install xbin.tgz. Package does not end in .tgz” The required packages have been placed in the DOS root directory.

Help please!

Theo

---