baslinux - Re: [BL] Sylpheed on a 486DX2 66 w/20MB RAM

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sylpheed on a 486DX2 66 w/20MB RAM
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:35:41 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> Yes, vga16. The card in this machine is Trident TVGA
> 9000i, 512KB. There is a Trident xserver (for the 8900
> and 9000 cards), as I recall,

I'm pretty sure the Xserver you need is xsvga.tgz

> but I could not get it working with this card.

Configuring an Xserver is often difficult. Don't give up.
Start with very conservative settings. If you have another
version of Linux running on that system, you can steal some
settings from that. The most important ones are HorizSync
and Vert Refresh (those are for the monitor). For the card,
start with a generic 800x600 in 256 colors. If you haven't
already got it, install xset.tgz (installpkg) and execute
XF86Setup. You will probably find that easier to use than
xf86config.

> One of my big hangups with BL1 was that I could find no
> chat client for it. In terms of system resources, naim
> runs fine on a machine of this class. But I understood
> from a comment you made earlier that naim could not be
> expected to compile/install on BL1, correct?

The BL2 binary will not run on BL1, but you may be able to
compile a new binary for BL1 (using GCC on BL1). The only
fishhook I can see is if there is something in the 2.2 kernel
that naim requires. Even then, it might be possible to get
around this by running BL1 on a 2.2 kernel.