baslinux - Re: [BL] Sylpheed on a 486DX2 66 w/20MB RAM

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sylpheed on a 486DX2 66 w/20MB RAM
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:55:09 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> Well, Sylpheed is looking like not a real good choice
> for the 486 class under discussion. It does work, and has
> nice graphics, even in this 16 color display. While typing
> though, the active line flashes - disappears momentarily
> when you make a keyboard stroke.

Part of the problem could be the VGA16 Xserver (you are
using the VGA16 server, aren't you?). It is particularly
slow for that sort of thing.

> During typing, the CPU meter can reach the halfway point
> and higher.

That's no good.

> it was almost intolerable. It couldn't keep up with my typing,
> and I'm not a very fast typist.

OK, Netscape 3.04 is looking better and better. It seems to
me that the best option for graphical browsing and mail on a
468 (16mb RAM) is BL1 and Netscape 3.04.

> That's my preliminary report on Sylpheed.

Thank you. That was very helpful.