baslinux - [BL] Sylpheed on a 486DX2 66 w/20MB RAM

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: Baslin List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Sylpheed on a 486DX2 66 w/20MB RAM
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:34:52 -0500

Well, Sylpheed is looking like not a real good choice for the 486 class under
discussion. It does work, and has nice graphics, even in this 16 color
display. While typing though, the active line flashes - disappears
momentarily when you make a keyboard stroke. During typing, the CPU meter
can reach the halfway point and higher. Last night when I tried it, I had X
going and 2 or 3 console apps in virtual terminals (no other X progs running)
and it was almost intolerable. It couldn't keep up with my typing, and I'm
not a very fast typist. In short, though it's useable, Sylpheed needs to be
run pretty much by itself on a system like this. One would need to shut down
other applications in order for it to run reasonably - not a multi-tasking
program on this sort of system (I'm using it now). With only 1 other program
running in a virtual console at the moment (naim), it is tolerable though.
The interface, while nice-looking, is pretty sluggish on this machine as
well, agai!
n the more so as one has other programs running. Pine wins hands down in
terms of reasonable use of system resources on this sort of setup. If one is
really attached to gui's and doesn't mind having to shut down other programs
in order to run their email client, maybe Sylpheed will work out. That's my
preliminary report on Sylpheed. I'll try and follow up on it later.

James

PS Apologies if this gets posted more than once - technical difficulties.