b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] baal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] baal
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:35:38 -0400

1. Lo and behold! The all knowing הידעונית Wikipedia says:
Baba Sali Arabic: بابا صلى‎ Hebrew באבא סאלי‎ lit. "Praying Father".
Interestingly enough, Sali is written in Arabic with a saad.
2. That baba (or papa) is child's talk for AB = ABA, we all know.
3. Aramaic is but vulgar Hebrew.
4. The act CLA in Daniel 6:11(10), is to my understanding, 'pray'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University