b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The root CLH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The root CLH
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:44:45 -0400

1. There is no need to see Strong when we can look directly at the Hebrew bible.
2. It is not clear to me what is a "primitive root".
3. What is hung up dangles down. As I understand it, what happens in Ex. 2:19 is this:
Moses tied a rope to a pail, then he hung, TALAH, the pail over the well opening,
then he lowered the dangling bucket דלי DLIY, into the well, then he pulled up, DALAH,
the full pail and emptied it into the troughs.
in my opinion דלת DELET, 'door', is but a תלת TELET, the hanging- dangling flap over the tent opening.
4. DALAL דלל is TALAL. Language can express the negative only in terms of the positive,
for instance גב GAB is 'back, hump', but GEB, as in Jer 14:3, is a cistern,
namely, an inverted GAB, a depression.
5. The genetic relationship between Hebrew and Arabic is obscure and therefore their comparison is but anecdotal.
6. If צלי אש CLIY E$ of Ex. 12:8 is not a תלי אש TLIY E$, then what is it?

Isaac Fried, Boston University