b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Subject in Jer 31,2 ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Subject in Jer 31,2 ?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:12:09 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Karl,

thank you for your response.

- there is no object marker "et" in front of "Israel"(conf. Jerm 50,35),
so that it is not necessarily the Object of "RG)" (to bring Israel to
rest). To regard Isreal as Subject is possible.
- The Word HaLoKH (walking) is infinite. It's possible to see this verb as
indicating circumstantial information on the people having found grace
mentioned already.
- HalaKH is better refered to the people of Israel, while they were
wandering in the desert.
- At the first glance I found no other reference that JHWH and HLK are
combined.
I'd suggest therefore: "when Isreal wandered in order to come to its rest".

Thank you for further help !
Yours
Peter Streitenberger, Germany