b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:02:51 -0500

Hello Paul:

Thanks for your comments.

Perhaps I can respond in reverse order.

1. A great day, today, to be outside and away from the computer. ... :)

2. The announced purpose of this forum: "b-hebrew is a forum dedicated to
the discussion of biblical hebrew language and literature." Moderators have
amplified this function with the policy that the masoretic text ("MT") forms
the primary factual universe of this forum.

3. Language and literature discussion, be it sourced from Archie comic
books, the Rosetta stone or points beyond; necessarily includes the meaning
of the words used. Reasonable people do not discuss the language and
literature of submarine construction manuals, and fail to converse on what
those submarines do and do not do, including the proper meaning of the
relevant written words.

4. I do not advance any particular theology with my posts. I am simply
taking the language and literature presented and compiled in a single book
(aleppo codex, leningrad codex, etc.), and offer my opinions as to what the
factual record discloses about word meaning and structure. And that factual
record involves not submarines, but rather a Person named יהוה .

5. No less an authority than the Brown, Driver, Briggs Lexicon ("BDB")
offers its opinion of biblical hebrew word meanings, by comparison of such
word usage across the entire spectrum of the MT. Is BDB preaching a
particular religion? Most people would say: "No."

6. Does the BDB represent a discussion of biblical language and literature?
I would think so.

7. A nation of priests requires secular parts just as the brain (organ of
thought) needs non-thinking parts (feet, hands, stomach) to survive and
prosper.

8. The priestly nation, identified in the relevant Exodus verse, can also be
defined as all people in the nation engaged in simple work. The shepherd for
example, feeds his own stomach with his labor (love self); and he furnishes
goat milk for others to consume for a price (love others). The nation of
priests hence mediates between יהוה and other גוים by example of deed versus
"preaching, teaching and sacrificing." Does this definition of the
word constitute theology? Maybe, but i intend not. Does the entire language
and literature of the MT represent theology? Maybe, but i intend not in my
posts. Nevertheless, the unequivocal fact remains that the universe of this
forum (MT) includes the language and literature of the Person יהוה repeated
6,000 + times; not Archie from comic book fame; or anyone or anything else.

9. Submarines engage in exploratory and military activity. Can the language
and literature of submarines be understood by ignoring the military purpose?
Probably not. Can the MT language and literature, ואתם תהיו לי ממלכת כהנים
וגוי קדוש be understood properly (or even at all) by ignoring its clerical
(versus secular) purpose? Probably not.

10. My Exodus quote above and in the prior post is written right to left.

11. My posts generally confine themselves to the parameters of this forum,
aka MT, and not to the other documents you observed may exist.

12. I do not try to convince anyone of anything here. One need look no
further than the never ending conflict at temple mount to know that
"convincing" and "convinced" represent part of the human repertoire or
character, not.

13. Perhaps i can summarize this post as follows.

14. Do any of my posts preach or imply that יהוה or the MT equal the truth,
the way and the life? No.

15. Do any of my posts preach or imply that יהוה or the MT equal a fairy
tale? No.

16. Do any of my posts suggest that the language and literature of the MT
represent a story all about a Person named יהוה ? Yes.

17. Do any of my posts suggest that proper understanding of the pieces
(letters) and parts (words) (aka "trees") of the biblical hebrew language,
require an understanding of the story (forest) memorialized by the language?
Yes.

Well, time to go.

regards,

fred burlingame