b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>, "'fred burlingame'" <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the intended consumer of biblical hebrew language
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:01:22 -0700

Dear Paul,

It seems that the underlying (implied/inferred) premise in this discussion is
that secular documents are factual and that religious documents are not
factual
since those documents deal with theological elements. I do not accept that
premise.

The documents of the Tanakh are both. To separate the one from the other is to
destroy the integrity of both. It is no accident that matters that we moderns
would take to be non-scientific are considered to be scientific though not
couched in the modern terminology of our time. This is must be kept in mind at
all times; otherwise, we have eisegesis. Basically, we have a pretext to a
text
which is no text at all.

It appears that what is going on is that the authors of the Tanakh have
recorded
what has happened but with a theological interpretation perspective. The
account
of Nehemiah reveals a situation of what occurred. First, the Torah is being
read
from Hebrew, then translated to the people in Aramaic. This makes completes
since as it is readily discernable from historical fact that the people of the
land no longer spoke, let alone read, Hebrew. Hebrew, then was maintained by
the
leaders, both religious and secular, while everyday affairs was maintained by
Aramaic. Thus, Hebrew did not go out of existence, but not as widespread.
Remember also that it was most likely during the Babylonian Exile that the
rise
of the synagogue occurred. This would allow for the exiles to continue to
learn
and use Hebrew, but not to the extant that it was used prior to the Exile.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III