b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Self-study materials for Learning Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul E. Baronowsky" <paulb2 AT insightbb.com>
  • To: Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Self-study materials for Learning Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:57:15 -0500

On 5/25/2010 1:37 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
I learned Hebrew through regular course work, but I have a colleague who
asked me what I'd recommend for self-study. Self-study never works for me
and I have no suggestions. Does anyone on the list have such a suggestion?
Thanks.

FWIW: I began my self-study of Biblical Hebrew - a little over ten years ago - with _Hebrew Tutor_, a mulimedia CD by Ted Hildebrand (sp ?). That program was written for Windows for Workgroups 3.11, and I don't know whether it has been updated. I supplemented it with _A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew_ by C.L. Seow and with _Biblical Hebrew: A Text and Workbook_ by B.P. Kittel, V. Hoffer, and R.A. Wright. I later participated in an online course which used _A Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew_ by J. Weingreen. And now I am participating in an online course which is using _Classical Hebrew Composition_ , also by Weingreen.

I have been pleased with all of these; but, be forewarned: I am barely beyond the beginner stage (in my own estimation). Another point is that I have done (and continue to do) this solely for my own pleasure - for no practical use. The pleasure of learning is enough to keep me going. And to pay back the online community which has helped me, I am now coordinating two online groups: one translating 2Samuel, and the other a beginners' group which is using _Basics of Biblical Hebrew_ by Pratico and Van Pelt.