b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kadesh-barnea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kadesh-barnea
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:10:43 -0700

James:

Genesis and Numbers both recognize a Kadesh that is separate from the Kadesh
Barnea that you visited.

While Kadesh Barnea was fairly well known and sometimes simply called
Kadesh, the other site was named only a couple of times in the context of
being a station along the Kings Highway east of the Rift valley. Moses was
not at Kadesh Barnea when he asked for Edom’s permission to cross his land.

Seeing as there were two sites in the south with the name Kadesh, and others
up north (How common was that name?), we have no problem with the report as
given in Tanakh.

Karl W. Randolph.