b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kadesh-barnea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kadesh-barnea
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:46:14 +0100

Hi,

thanks for the food for thought. Some observations I would make are the
following.

1) The wandering in the desert only started after the judgement in Num 14:34
after the multitude did not express faith in Yhwh's ability to conquer the
Canaanite nation for them after the report of the 12 spies. Until this point
the journey was purposeful with destination of Canaan from Egypt via Mount
Sinai.

2) According to Num 13:26 the spies, after spying the land, returned to
Moses and the assembly at Kadesh in the Paran desert/wilderness. And so by
logical conclusion they had already arrived at Kadesh as part of their
purposeful route to Canaan. Their almost uneventful journey through
practically uninhabited lands terminates at the border of very much
inhabited (with an equipped army) Edom at some place that seems to be close
to the King's Highway. This may fit well with the end of Nahal Paran.

3) Num 13:22 tells us that the spies, having set out from Paran
desert/wilderness went up through the Negev to Hebron after spying out from
the Zin desert as far as Rehob. Maybe this could give us further clues.
Seems to suggest a vast desert (as opposed to mountainous wadi divided
wilderness) north of Kadesh and south of Hebron.

4) After Moses gets refused use of the King's Highway through Edom they make
their way to Mount Hor which we identify in modern day Jordan over the other
side of the Red mountains we identify with Edom Num 20:22. Num 21:4 makes
mention of the use of the way of the Red Sea as the route to go around the
land of Edom. Travelling up they come past a wilderness near Moab until they
finally get to the Arnon before kicking off with the Amorites. The whole
account seems to suggest that Moses wanted to take the direct and least
hazardous route up the natural road that rests between Eilat and the dead
sea. This route goes through Edom but Edom wasn't willing. Hopping over the
mountains there is another parallel northward route but you have to go
through hostile Amorite territory and then over the Jordan to get into
Canaan. I think we agree that on the approximate geography of this alternate
route.

Considering these things it would seem logical to me for there to either be
a different Kadesh or that the identification of Kadesh-Barnea to be in
error. Looking at Num 34:3-5 concluding that modern day Kadesh-Barnea is a
good identification would seem to depend on you identification of the Zin
desert, the ascent of Akrabbim, Hazar-addar, Azmon and the torrent valley of
Egypt. With which modern places do you identify these boundary points?

James Christian