b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kadesh-barnea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kadesh-barnea
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 06:29:45 -0700

James:

In Genesis we find two different places named Kadesh: one from its context
along the Kings Highway (Genesis 14:7) and one not far from Philistine
territories (Genesis 16:14, 20:1). Both in the South.

Numbers mentions Kadesh in Paran, from where the spies were sent (chapter
13) and in the Wilderness of Zin (chapter 20) apparently along the Kings
Highway. The first one has no mention of Edom, in fact could go directly
from there to the Promised Land, the second in context with the desire to go
through Edom on their way north.

How large was the Wilderness of Zin?

Every mention of Kadesh in Joshua is of Kadesh Barnea to the west of the
Rift Valley.

2 Samuel 24:6 mentions still another Kadesh, that of Kadesh in the land of
the Hittites, in context in the north.

As far as the modern identities of these places, that is outside a strict
linguistic analysis of the text.

Karl W. Randolph.