b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year 14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year 14
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:28:15 +0200

Jim, very briefly:

Despite your efforts, the geography of Gen. 14:2-12 clearly relates to the
Trans-Jordan, Dead Sea and southern regions of the land. So this is where
QD$ would be as well. There is a debate on whether there were one southern
Kadesh (=Barnea) or two, a Kadesh and a Kadesh Barnea. I support the former
opinion, but in any case even if there were two they would be in the south.
The accepted identification of Kadesh Barnea is at Ein Quderat, south-east
of Gaza. Archaeologically, there is a large Iron-Age fortress at the site
(albeit with no sign saying "welcome to Kadesh-Barnea"). The geography is
clear, and has nothing to do with the 14th century kingdom of Amurru. By the
way, the equation of "Amurru" with biblical "Amorite" (Emori) is not as
certain as is often assumed.

Now, is there any "secular history" evidence of these events? No. Just like
the entire Patriarchal narratives. This does not bother me. Obviously it
does bother you. If making up your own history and geography works for you -
be my guest, but not on this list.

Yigal Levin

_____