b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] sfat Kena`an

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sfat Kena`an
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:24:07 -0700

On 27 Oct 2009 at 8:04, Yigal Levin wrote:

> I disagree with Karl for two reasons. First, the context of Isaiah
> 19:18
> makes it clear that he envisioned a victory of Yahweh over Egypt.
> Clearly,
> this makes "Sefat Kena'an" the same as "Yehudit" - what we call
> Hebrew.

But if so, why say "Sephat Kena`an" rather than "Sephat Yehuda"? Judah is
mentioned in
the previous verse, so it would be natural if he's saying Egypt will be
speaking the language
spoken in Judah, to say "the language of Judah." How do you explain this?

Note that I'm not necessarily agreeing with Karl that it meant Aramaic, but
I'm not convinced
that it meant Hebrew, either.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur