b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] IMMER familly in NEHEMIE 7 40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: vincent AT otxplc.com
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] IMMER familly in NEHEMIE 7 40
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 08:47:31 +0000

My name is Vincent IMMER, not jewish from swiss/french origin and living in
Israel for 10 years now. I am wondering what is the real origin of my familly
name.
I thought it comes from german, IMMER, which means ALLWAYS.
I just discovered that this familly name, IMMER or IMME^R, (or IMER
sometimes) in english, appears in the Bible related to Cohen people, priest
in exil in Babylon.
I wondered why the hebrew name was translated in latin with two m?
And also I wondered what is the root of this word or its meaning, I read on
this list the it means CONSERVED, or GUARDED (which is in this case not so
far from the meaning ALLWAYS by the way....).
By the way in searching other mentions of this word in the bible I found it 9
times, it sounds sometimes as a location more than a familly name like "the
people from the location immer", might it be possible too?
Thank you for you help
Vincent IMMER