b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] IMMER familly in NEHEMIE 7 40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] IMMER familly in NEHEMIE 7 40
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 13:41:15 +0300

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Vincent Immer wrote:
> An explanation of the origin of the text can be found
> here, at the bottom of the page. It is said:
> "
> The archeologists Sir Henry Austen Layard and
> Hormuzd Rassam discovered the Ashurbanipal
> Library intact in Nineveh and crated the 50,000
> tablets to the British Museum in London. They are
> the pride of the British Museum, together with the
> oldest Ancient Aramaic New Testament which
> dates back to the 4th Century AD. "

The Ashurbanipal library has nothing to do with
the Aramaic translation or original of the Bible.
The British Museum apparently has a 4th
century manuscript of the Peshitta for the
Pentateuch. I'm not sure if that's what they
talk about there. I wouldn't put too much
faith in that website.

Yitzhak Sapir