b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Arpachshad

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Al Craig" <crequi AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Arpachshad
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 17:48:42 +0100

Karl:

So long as it's a plain that the Israelites can come out of to occupy the Promised Land it will do as a point of origin. It doesn't have to be THE Arabah, it just has to be something to do with the desert.

As to your point about Abraham, yes he is in direct descent from Arpachshad, but that's where I think there's a problem. To avoid being provocative I did not say that I thought Abraham's starting point in Mesopotamia was implausible as a place of origin for the Hebrews and that that could be due to an incorrect interpretation of Arpachshad.

It's all a bit trivial but if there is anyone having sleepless nights wondering about the meaning of the name Arpachshad they might want to consider the idea put forward here as one of the possibilities.

Al Craig