b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tense and aspect; was: "The use of "

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tense and aspect; was: "The use of "
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:24:45 +1000

That's interesting, Dave. I'd argue that the QATAL is in fact the simple
declarative in Hebrew, and that WAYYIQTOL is looking 'live' at an action as
it unfolds. Are thinking about Aktionsart (what type of action is being
described) rather than asepct (how do we view an action)?

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au